Financial Inclusion: Role of Banks

Authors

  • Love Gogia Assistant Professor, Economics Dept., Bhagini Nivedita college, NCWEB , University of Delhi, India.

Keywords:

Financial Inclusion, Financial Services, Indian Banking, Self Help Groups, Financial products

Abstract

The issue of financial inclusion is a development policy priority in many countries. Around 50% of the Indian population suffers from chronic poverty and hunger. Only 31% of the Indian population has access to Banking services. The rest 69% are still deprived of bare minimum banking services for which they are totally dependent on informal banking sources like private money lenders. While the need to solve this mammoth problem is great, we are unable to reach large numbers of the poor with products, services and information they need to achieve financial security. It is been proven, levels of human development and financial inclusion in a country move closely with each other. This paper points to the importance of financial inclusion and highlights various policies that have been adopted in India to increase the same. Banking on the poor is a viable option in India as there are huge mass at the bottom of the pyramid. Use of technology plays an important role in leveraging banking services to rural areas as it lower the cost of maintaining the account. Also there should be convergence between regulator, banks, telecom companies and software companies. Financial literacy and credit counseling programmes can create critical mass for financial services which make financial inclusion viable .Financial Inclusion has far reaching consequences, which can help many people come out of abject poverty conditions.

References

Chakrabarty, K. C. (2009). “Pushing Financial Inclusion – Issues, Challenges and Way Forward”, address delivered at 20th SKOCH Summit 2009, Mumbai on July 17, 2009, available at www.rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/content/docs/IRDGCS170709.ppt

RBI (2008), Report on Currency & Finance, RBI, Mumbai, p.315

RBI (2011), Report on Trend & Progress of Banking in India, RBI, Mumbai, p.37.

Banking for the Poor: Evidence from India, EEA Meetings, 2004, Pande R, G Wong and Burgess, R.

Committee on Financial Sector Reforms (Draft Report), 2008, Planning Commission, Government of India.

Do Rural Banks Reduce Poverty? Evidence from the Indian Social Banking Experiment, Working Paper Series No 04 / 104, 2003, Burgess, R and Pande, CMPO.

Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Critical View, Background paper for World Economic and Social Survey, 2006, Valpy FitzGerald, Oxford University.

Finance for All? Policies and Pitfalls in Expanding Access, World Bank Policy Research Report, 2008, World Bank, Washington DC

A Financial System for India’s Poor, 2005, Priya Basu, Economic and Political Weekly, No 37.

Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda, June 1997, Ross Levine, Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. XXXV.

Improving Access to Finance for India’ Rural Poor, 2008, Priya Basu, World Bank

Downloads

Published

2021-09-03

Issue

Section

Articles